Friday, July 1, 2011

Links, A week in Review

Here are my favorite reads from this week...

1. I am relatively new to the blogging world, and I don't have too many blogs that I "follow". But I somehow stumbled across The Modern Mrs. Darcy, which is a great blog for women. I love the theme, "redefining the accomplished woman" and the topics ranging anywhere from 'womanly skills' to 'female mentors' are informative, and full of tact. I really enjoyed the article she wrote this week on why, as adults, we should be listening to more than just Top 40 music. Absolutely perfect.


2. I also want to mention a great blog for men, that I often see featured on Lewrockwell.com. It's called The Art of Manliness, and with it's slogan "reviving the lost art of manliness" it is sort of Modern Mrs. Darcy's male counterpart. Again with a wide range of articles discussing things like 'how to start a fire without matches' and 'how to shave like your grandfather' it's both a funny and interesting blog (I am obviously not a man, but enjoy reading it still!). The article I read recently talks about the importance for man (read: all humans) to know nature. I wish I could print this and give it to all of the men here in Taiwan, because in my opinion they really lack in their ability to be outdoors. And I loved this quote from the article, as it discusses whether nature could be the cure for cynicism:

"'Man's heart away from nature becomes hard; [The Lakota] knew that lack of respect for growing, living things soon led to a lack of respect for humans too.' - Standing Bear"


3. My sister just brought over my new Mercola all-natural sunscreen, that I purchased on Amazon. I can't wait to go to the beach this weekend and try it out! Using proper sunscreen is really important to ensure that your body is receiving appropriate amounts of Vitamin D that we get from the healthy UVB rays. Unfortunately, most sunscreens not only block these UVB rays, but are filled with many toxic chemicals that do more harm than good. Check out this great article on how to choose a good sunscreen, and protect yourself the right way this summer!

4. This one is not so upbeat. Unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect world full of peace, and while dwelling of the negative aspects of our society is in no way a good way to go about life, it is still important to acknowledge the not so ideal, if, for nothing else, than to increase awareness of a particular situation. This article is quite sad, and I have been seeing more and more articles of it's kind popping up on the internet. Excessive and violent police force has, it seems, become all too common in recent years. I have read many stories like this one, where innocent children, adults, and even elderly have been accosted by police officers for no reason. I want to write more on this particular subject at a later time, but for now I'd like to pose a question for those residing in the States: Have you noticed in the news or where you live an increase in this kind of situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment