Thursday, June 16, 2011

In a Season-less World

We all know that as we get older time seems to speed up. Days, weeks, and months seem to be gone in the blink of an eye. But when you live in a place where it's summer 9 out of 12 months of the year, time seems to go at warp speed.

The change in seasons seems to divide time up nicely. You can think ahead, "Fall is coming" or "I hope it won't be a long winter"and your idea of time is separated into four distinct periods; you can see more clearly that it's passing. Sure, the seasons can pass fast (usually summer passing the fastest), but at least you can see that it's happening. Here in southern Taiwan it's always summer, and months are gone before you have time to think about it.

I swear it was just yesterday that I was writing "June 1st, 2011" on my whiteboard at school. I was thinking at that time I still had one month before the semester was over. One month before my sister and (hopefully) Jonathan's sister both arrive here for vacation. And two months until we leave. Now, it's June 16 and my sister will be here on the 28th. That is less than two weeks! Of course that is really like 4 seconds Taiwan time, and then it's one month until we leave.

In this case, I am glad that time is going by fast. I cannot wait for the semester to be over, and for our summer camp to start. I am really excited to see my sister (and she is bringing me some goodies!) and Jonathan's sister. Of course I am looking forward to going home, but I'm also not quite ready to leave.

I didn't think it would creep up on me so fast (I should have known better) and I am not really prepared. We have a lot to do, and since we are having visitors our time will be even more limited. Can I somehow make July go in slow motion? I want to enjoy the time with our sisters, but also savor the last few weeks with our friends and family here. I want to spend as much time as I can soaking in the Kending sun. I want to have a big "good-bye" picnic. So many things to do, I just hope we can find the time.


Kending beach

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe that I am finally in a post! We can do all those things when I get over there... I love picnics, and soaking up sun (I'm not too sure about Kending sun... I've never been there before), and I'm always down for meet new friends. So what are we waiting for???? Oh right, for two weeks to come. Would you mind sending over your special "warp-speed" time over my way, days are taking forever because I'm so excited to come over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's do the time warp again! Allane I completely agree about the role seasons play in the perception of time. Florida is very similar with it's lack of seasons and I feel like the past three years have flow by faster than any other period in my life. Dad advised my to begin writing things down, i.e. making lists or keeping a journal, it has helped too slow me and enjoy things more. It keeps me focused and enhances my ability to take it one minute at a time.

    ReplyDelete